Let’s take a little history lesson, a rather important one. In grade school, we learn about the Constitution and Bill of Rights. These rights have protected the people for over 200 years and continue to do so, so it is imperative for the people to know their rights and know if and when they are being out of line, or if they are ever abused from another party. So, do you know all ten bills?
- Freedom of speech, press, religion and petition. The people are allowed to speak freely, gather with others, practice any religion (or no religion) and speak up to the government. The press may cover this.
- Right to keep and bear arms. While this always very debatable between protecting the state versus individuals, this Amendment protects the right to gun ownership.
- Conditions for quarters of soldiers. The government may not force the public to house soldiers.
- Right of search and seizure regulated. The people may deny the government’s request to search their body, property and belongings, unless there is a warrant.
- Provisions concerning prosecution. A person may not be held in custody for committing a crime unless they are charged. (There is a time frame from the arrest that the government must formally charge the arrestee, or let them go.) A person cannot be tried twice for the same crime and doesn’t have to testify against him or herself.
- Right to a speedy trial. This Amendment guarantees a speedy trial. Defendants are allowed to have a lawyer.
- Right to a trial by jury. This is held in federal civil court.
- Excessive bail, cruel punishment. Bail must be reasonable and punishments must be fair.
- Rule of construction of Constitution. Aside from the aforementioned rights, other rights for the public do exist. Just because they are not listed above doesn’t mean they can be violated. They cannot.
- Rights of the States under Constitution. Any power not given to the federal government belongs to the states or people.
Now that you’ve freshened up your memory, you can take a more proactive take on your daily routing. You know what you are and are not allowed to do. If someone is infringing on your rights, speak up!
Fresno Bail Bond Store is here to help protect some of these rights in the ways we can: bail. We produce bail bonds for people who have been recently arrested. Our bail bonds “replace” paying for 100% of the bail in cash. Instead, you’d pay only 10% of it to us, and we take care of the rest from there.